FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON SHHK VOLUNTEER SCHEME
ABOUT SHHK VOLUNTEER SCHEME
1. What is the objective of the SHHK Volunteer Schemes?
SHHK Volunteer Schemes are platforms created to meet the operation needs of SHHK, its subsidiaries, related-organisations and affiliated schools. They serve as platforms for members to contribute as part of the SHHK family. The platforms are not designed to meet individual needs and wants.
2. How can SHHK members volunteer their services to SHHK?
SHHK members can volunteer their services to SHHK through the following platforms:
a. Huay Kuan-based Member Volunteer Scheme
b. School-based Member Volunteer Scheme
3. How can a member register his/her interest to volunteer?
All members who are interested to volunteer must complete and submit the Volunteer Application Form to SHHK. The form is available from SHHK upon request.
4. How will volunteers be notified of opportunities to volunteer?
A notice will be posted on www.shhk.com.sg and sent to members in the volunteer database via email to inform all of the next request for volunteers. Details of each request for volunteers will be sent to volunteers via mass email blast based on the volunteer database.
5. How can a member secure volunteer slots?
There are many other members, like you, who are equally keen to volunteer. Requests for volunteers are sent via email to all members who have expressed interest to volunteer. There will be members who will not be able to secure volunteer opportunities as many more than required would respond after each volunteer request is sent out.
6. Can a member register more than 1 email address in the volunteers’ database?
No. Each member can only register 1 email address with SHHK to receive notifications of request for volunteers.
7. Can a member change the registered email address after submitting the Volunteer Application form?
Yes. Member has to send the request to change the email address to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating member’s name, NRIC number, the existing email address and the new email address.
ABOUT HUAY KUAN-BASED MEMBER VOLUNTEER SCHEME
8. What is the Huay Kuan-based Member Volunteer Scheme?
The Huay Kuan-based Member Volunteer Scheme aims to support projects, events and/or activities organised by SHHK, including its subsidiaries SHHK Cultural Academy, Thian Hock Keng, and Singapore Chinese Dance Theatre.
9. What is the selection criterion?
Priority to volunteer may be given to member volunteers who are applying to register their children under Phase 2B of the Primary One Registration Exercise. However, SHHK reserves the right to allocate volunteer slots base on operational needs of the projects, events or activities and its decisions shall be final. More information will be provided in the respective notification to request for volunteers.
10. Right to reject volunteer application/terminate volunteer duty assignments
SHHK takes a serious view on members who are absent from duties assigned.
SHHK reserves the right to reject volunteer application or terminate volunteer duty assignments if a Member Volunteer breaches any of the terms and conditions/notes to volunteers made available prior to the volunteer application/or the Volunteer’s performance or/and conduct is found to be unsatisfactory.
ABOUT SCHOOL-BASED MEMBER VOLUNTEER SCHEME
11. What are the objectives of the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme?
The School-based Member Volunteer Scheme aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Meet the schools’ needs on volunteers
- Provide a platform for parents to contribute to the schools
- Allow potential parents and students to build rapport with the school
12. Who is eligible to apply?
Only SHHK members are eligible.
13. What is the selection criterion?
Member volunteers are selected based on the needs of the schools, the number of member volunteers required by the school and the profile of the member volunteers.
14. Is distance between the school and my home a selection criterion for the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme?
No. Distance from the school is only considered during the balloting process under the MOE Primary One Registration exercise.
15. What is the minimum duration that each member volunteer is required to serve in the scheme?
Member volunteers will generally volunteer for a minimum of 6 months. The duration of the volunteer work is also subjected to the schools’ needs.
16. Is the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme open to members with children of all ages?
The School-based Member Volunteer Scheme is open to members with children of all ages. Priority to volunteer may be given to member volunteers who are applying to register their children under Phase 2B of the Primary One Registration Exercise but subjected to the schools’ needs.
17. How is the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme different from the MOE Parent Volunteer Scheme?
The School-based Member Volunteer Scheme is administered by SHHK and is subjected to the terms and conditions of the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme.
18. Can the applicant volunteer in more than one school?
Members are encouraged to volunteer in a school of their choice so as to build rapport and be familiarised with the school’s culture and environment.
19. How many times can I be absent from the volunteer work?
Once you have signed up for the School-based Member Volunteer Scheme and have been assigned a volunteer slot, you are required to fulfil your commitment dutifully, as your absence will impact the school’s operations and programmes. SHHK takes a serious view on members who are absent from the duties assigned.
SHHK reserves the right to terminate volunteer duty assignments if a Member Volunteer breaches any of the terms and conditions governing the Scheme and/or the Volunteer’s performance or/and conduct is found to be unsatisfactory.
20. When can I apply for the scheme?
Volunteering at the affiliated schools is primarily based on the needs of the schools. When such a need arises, we will notify Member Volunteers to apply for the available vacancies.
For questions on SHHK Primary One Phase 2B recommendation, please refer to Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.shhk.com.sg.