FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR PHASE 2B RECOMMENDATION IN PRIMARY ONE
REGISTRATION EXERCISE FROM YEAR 2020 FOR ADMISSION TO PRIMARY ONE
IN SINGAPORE HOKKIEN HUAY KUAN AFFILIATED SCHOOLS
(APPLICABLE TO SHHK MEMBERS ONLY)
1. What are the criteria to be recommended for Phase 2B registration?
- Minimum of two  consecutive years of membership by 30 June of the year of registration; AND
- Complete a minimum of eighty  hours of volunteer service with or through SHHK
2. Does having a recommendation from SHHK in Phase 2B registration stand a better chance of securing a place in the school than parent volunteers and community leaders?
All three categories stand equal chance. Balloting will be necessary if number of applicants exceeds number of vacancies.
3. How do I apply for my child to be registered for Phase 2B during the year that my child is due for registration?
You can obtain an “Application for Primary One Registration Phase 2B” form from the Secretariat and submit the duly completed form together with photocopies of the child’s parents’ NRIC, the child’s birth certificate and your SHHK membership approval letter before 30 June of the year of registration.
4. When is the year that my child is due for registration?
The Primary One Registration Exercise is an exercise for a child to register for a Primary One place in a mainstream school in the following year. Therefore, the year of registration will be one  year before your child starts school. Please refer to MOE’s website for more information.
5. Does a member’s child automatically get to register under Phase 2B?
No. Although a member may apply to have his/her child recommended by SHHK to be placed under Phase 2B registration, applicants who do not meet the in-house guidelines will not obtain SHHK’s recommendation to be included in the registration exercise.
6. Does having a membership and living within 1 km from the school help in obtaining SHHK’s recommendation?
No. Distance from the school is only considered during the MOE balloting process and not during SHHK recommendation process.
7. After obtaining SHHK’s recommendation, is there anything else I could do in order to secure a place for my child with the specific school?
No. If there are more applications than vacancies, balloting will be conducted. The balloting process is outside the jurisdiction of SHHK.
8. Does making a donation to the school or SHHK help in securing a place?
Principals are not to solicit donations either monetary or in kind from prospective parents, guardians or representatives of applicants, both local and foreign during the admission process. SHHK also does not condone such an act.
9. Will I be notified if my application receives a recommendation?
You will be informed by the school if your application is successful. The school will notify you of the necessary documents to bring along for the registration.
10. Are we allowed to apply for more than one Huay Kuan schools?
No. Your application will be rejected by the MOE system if you submit applications for more than one school.
11. Are we allowed to change our selection of school after making the application?
No. SHHK will not entertain any requests for change once the P1 school registration exercise commences.
12. How is the Phase 2B balloting process carried out?
MOE rules state that balloting is carried out according to the following order of priority:
Children living within 1 km of the school.
Children living between 1 and 2 km of the school.
Children living outside 2 km of the school.
13. Should my child be balloted out, what else can I do if I still want my child to be in the school?
You may appeal directly to the school to be put on waiting list.
14. Where can I find more information of P1 registration?
For more information on school registration, you may wish to visit MOE’s website: www.moe.gov.sg
* All information above is correct at time of publication. The information serves only as references and parents are advised to keep themselves continually updated on the latest MOE policies on school registration.